Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Story time is a Special Time!

Yes, Story time!!! I love story time, it's always a special time.Again, I say, where else can you find a job where you get to read a storybook and get applause after reading? My motto: Kindergarten is the place to be!!!
Through the years, I have picked up lots of different tricks and I really think how I start story time is a hodgepodge of different ideas. This is how I begin: Story time is a special time and we use all our listening skills. When we are in the story time nook we listen with our ears by hearing. We listen with our eyes by looking directly at the speaker, showing respect. We listen with our brain by thinking. We listen with our mouth by keeping it quiet. We listen with our hands and whole body by keeping them still, not busy. And we listen with our heart, because truly listening is a loving act. 
This really works for me. It gets us all in focus, ready to listen. And, of course, we all sit "criss-cross applesauce"!
I always try to do a "theme" related one way or the other to the story I have read. The children do a color page or other activity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment